Nature is a sea of forms, a leaf, a sunbeam, a landscape, the ocean- what is common to them all is beauty..... Each moment has its own beauty; it beholds every hour a picture which was never seen before and which shall never be seen again. Every hour and season yields its tribute of delight from breathless noon to grimmest midnight.


----Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Why do people get so crazy?

I don't know what it is about this time of year that make people just go insane! I'm one of those (self proclaimed) stupid procrastinators that does my christmas shopping the week before christmas. I know its my own damn fault and fighting with the crowds are my punishment but Holy Mother of God! I had the unfortunate opportunity to go to a nearby mall for a present that needed something specifically Texas themed. They have a great Texas shop there so I (misguided as it may seem) thought I would just "pop in" and pick something up. Yeah no such thing as "popping in" this time of year! Deep down I knew that, but I was thinking maybe with the economy the way it is, it wouldn't be so bad. The traffic was unbelievable and people get so impatient. It makes me wonder why everyone gets so frenzied like a pack of sharks going in for the kill! I mean we all are going to the same place and unless it suddenly grows legs I'm sure the mall will be there no matter when we arrive! I'm not a big shopper to begin with, so when I get surrounded by all these people I feel myself wanting to crawl back into a my shell like a turtle. Not being a big fan of large crowds, I find myself speed walking through the mall to go exactly where I need to be. I get my stuff and bee line it out of there as quickly as I can to sit in 45 min of traffic that would usually take 10 min. It just makes me happy that this "frenzied" feeling only comes once a year! LOL

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm with you on the shopping and the whole frenzy of this season. Guess that's why we all need to take a second and remember why there is Christmas in the 1st place.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! :)

KateMattRexSloane said...

We love shopping xmas eve and dig the crowds. i know...wierdos.

Anonymous said...

See, I don't mind the crowds..but I mind the horrific traffic to GET to the crowds. I did a ton of shopping online this year to save my sanity...and I do believe I accomplished what I set out to do! I don't know about last minute shopping because I start in June...to avoid the heart palputations that come with the stress from last minute.

One day, you'll learn...lol!